e-Facilitator, Job Opportunity (PART-TIME)
English Online is hiring a part-time e-Facilitator based in Winnipeg, MB, to support online self-directed learners. It’s a one-year contract starting April 1, 2019, with a possibility of extension (subject to funding).
English Online is a not-for-profit organization supporting newcomers with their settlement integration in an online learning community. E-Facilitators support clients through self-directed online courses, individualized extension activities, virtual classes, and synchronous chats.
Reporting to the Lead e-Facilitator/LINC Home Study Coordinator, the incumbent will support English Online Inc. learners’ knowledge of Manitoba and the community in which they intend to settle. The candidate facilitates usage of the online self-directed modules available on the Live and Learn website and the development and delivery of online virtual classes. The e-Facilitator orientates self-directed learners and guides them to develop a program of study, i.e. Personal Learning Plan. In addition, e-Facilitators provide feedback on assignments, facilitate the discussion board, and provide settlement and language support to learners via phone, email and/or Skype.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and deliver virtual classes, standalone settlement workshops; design and update 4-week courses to address newcomer information, orientation, and language needs
- Submit lesson plans and PowerPoint presentations for review before delivery
- Create client resources, activities, quizzes, and handouts for workshop themes
- Provide support to clients by email, phone, the learning platforms and online communicators, i.e. Skype
- Monitor and moderate the discussion board in a timely manner
- Participate in monthly team meetings; Attend and assist with events as required
- Participate and present in PD sessions in order to keep current and responsive to the changing needs of e-learners
- Maintain timely reporting
- TESL Certification, or equivalent and University Degree
- 1 to 3 years teaching or tutoring adult ESL learners
- Successful experience teaching or tutoring in a newcomer environment
- High user of learning technologies, LMS, web-based training, and word processing tools. Specifically, use of the following tools/applications: PowerPoint, Outlook, Skype, a variety of Internet Browsers, Paint/Screen Capture
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an electronic workplace is essential
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with newcomer clients are essential
- Experience delivering online courses is an asset
Paid training will be provided.
Training start date: March 18, 2019, or as soon as possible.
Position start date: April 1, 2019, or a soon as possible
Hours: up to 22.5 hours p/week. Some hours are negotiable.
Wage: $21.53 p/hour
Location: Winnipeg. Telecommuting is available for this position.
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter and updated resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line “e-Facilitator Part-Time Application February 2019”. You will receive an email notification to confirm your application has been received.
Selection Process: Only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
As part of the selection process candidates will be interviewed using behavioural, and scenario-based interview questions.
Application and Interview Tips
- English Online Inc. supports clients via online technologies. Please highlight your technological skills and experience in your cover letter. Be specific on what applications you have used (Hint: look at the list of the qualifications, there are many free online tutorials on the tools mentioned.)
- English Online uses a self-directed learning model to facilitate learning. Understanding current trends and pedagogy of self-directed learning would be beneficial. Acquaint yourself with our organization and activities (Website; Twitter; Facebook)
- The online portion of the interview will be via Skype. Please familiarize yourself with the different functions in Skype and give some thought on how you would facilitate a Skype chat with a learner.
- Past applicants demonstrated their teaching portfolios, uploaded YouTube videos to present grammar points, created activities for self-directed learners, shared their teaching blog, participated in an online course or online workshop and presented evidence of their commitment to professional development and lifelong learning.
An organizational value of English Online Inc. is professional development and career path management. We support and encourage internal staff, contractors, and volunteers to apply for any available position either before or at the same time the position is advertised outside of the company.